SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

Words aren't showing up

I opened the software not too long ago. I noticed something weird. A little gray dot appearing and disappearing. Then, it’s gone. I figured “hm, must need an update.” I checked, it did. So, I downloaded the update. Now, I re-opened it again. The same problem happened. That little gray dot. Here I am, stuck in a rut. I’m want to work on a 14,400+ word story and I cant do it.
Am I doing something wrong? I don’t have internet at the moment, I downloaded 7.8 via Android. Updated it that way too. I’ve been using SEW for about a year or two now. I do like this app.

I’ll be trying again now, but this time, through my laptop. I hope this works.

I should mention that the project manager is showing the word count just fine. It’s the Writer that’s the issue.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by a grey dot. Can you elaborate a bit more?

Also, have you switched screens in some way? An extended, dual monitor setup down to a simple lap top? If so, SmartEdit might still think it’s rendering on the missing screen, and so not be visible.

Here’s an image of what I’m talking about.

You’ll see the little gray dot there. It flashes a few times and disappears. It usually happens when I click on a scene I want to write.
As for your second question, no. I have one Windows and a Chromebook running GalliumOS (Linux). Unable to dual-monitor. If that’s what you mean.

Try switching off the dark theme. The word count is showing 190 words for that scene, so I’m thinking they’re still there, just not visible.

I played with left and center buttons and realized the gray dot was moving left and center. I clicked on zoom in and bam! Words started getting bigger.
The words were zoomed out to the max. I haven’t a clue how I did that or how it happened.

Glad you found the answer. Unusual issue.

Unusual indeed. That’s one for the documentations, just in case it comes up again.