Atomic Scribbler Home · SmartEdit Home · Help

Undo / Redo buttons

I’m running the ten-day trial and cannot find the undo and redo buttons. Where are they ?

I think in the interests of clutter reduction, the standard Ctrl-Z (undo) and Ctrl-Y (redo) are used, without dedicated buttons in the UI.

Allen

Allen is correct. The Undo /Redo buttons were deliberately left out, on the understanding (possibly incorrect understanding) that users would know to use the standard Ctrl+Z/Ctrl+Y shortcuts common in Word and other word processors.

It would be interesting to hear how many users do not use these shortcuts, and prefer to use toolbar buttons.

Ah…thanks Allen and Darren (really wish my name rhymed with yours, but no).

I dig the minimalist approach, yet not sure I like this omission. To be fair, Scrivener doesn’t have the buttons up top (although they lurk behind the “Edit” pulldown.

Another question, if you don’t mind me hijacking my own thread :slight_smile: I notice that every scene from every folder is available on the index tabs above the page I’m working on. This can get confusing if I use only scene numbers, and start from “Scene 1” every folder (I use the folders as chapters). Is there a “hidden” function that will show only tabs from the folder/chapter I’m working on ?

Thanks

~

No, there’s nothing like this. What you can do if you’re ever unclear which scene you’re working on is to use the Ctrl+G shortcut to highlight the scene in the Document tree. This would allow you to see which Chapter or Folder it’s in. This option also exists as “Go to tree” on the right click menu inside the word processor.

OK…thanks Darren. A shame I can’t do that coz it would be a nifty way to quickly select scenes within a chapter. You can imagine the tabs get cluttered quickly. Then I’m sidescrolling like I’m in a spreadsheet.

Another question to make sure I’ve thoroughly hijacked myself. I know this won’t print page and doesn’t have headers or footers to put them in. However, is there a page reference at all? I ask coz I want to tell someone who is also using AS to reference line such-and-such on page whatever. Pages are a good point of reference, in general. Is there any kind of internal pagination that I missed ?

Thanks again !

~

No, there’s nothing in place like that at the moment. My expectation was that for most users scenes would be quite short, rarely above a page or two in size. Of course, my expectations might prove wrong. :slight_smile:

Mine vary up to 15-20 printed 6x9 pages.

Allen

Back on the topic of missing undo / redo buttons. I’m new to AS and they were one of the first things I looked for and now feel I’m missing. Maybe you just have to make the toolbar customizable, making these buttons available as options to show?

Otherwise many thanks, AS is a wonderful app.

I’d also like to suggest a productivity enhancement of setting ‘Ctrl+Shift+V’ to directly paste Unformatted Text without having to go through the Paste Special dialogue each time…

The paste unformatted text shortcut is one that was missed. I’ll look at adding it in the next release.

The Undo / Redo buttons. I’m still not sold on adding these buttons, as the shortcuts do exist and known and used by most people writers.

Lets not take away precious limited screen space, specially on laptops, with 2 more buttons which have the same global shortcut on tens of thousands of other software:

CTRL+Z
CTRL+Y

At least can use that space for 2 other specific functions. Regular writers really should know those 2 just like knowing CTRL+C and CTRL+V and use them to save time using the mouse.

While CTRL+Z is all right, the CTRL and Y are quite far apart for my left hand fingers. :frowning_face:

I use a safetype keyboard https://safetype.com/index.php

Multi key combinations are challenging. :dizzy_face:

I vote for Undo/Redo icons.

And Ctrl Shift V is one I can manage on that keyboard, so I’d love to see that as well. I’m constantly doing the multiple clicks required for Paste unformatted.

Yes, Ctrl-Shift-Z is a great alternative to Ctrl-Y, and is also widely used (e.g., Adobe).

Allen

Adobe uses the [Ctrl]-[Shift] combination for multiple shortcut key reversion, Allen. Just think of [Ctrl]-[G] for grouping items together and [Ctrl]-[Shift]-[G] for separating them again (e.g. Illustrator, etc.).

Not a bad idea. :slight_smile: I just don’t know whether this is possible with the setup Darren uses for AS. The advantage would be that people just have to remember one shortcut combination, knowing that the [additional] shift key would reverse it.

On the other hand, we have a shortcut list in the manual. That could be used as a paper version, replacing the memory. I had one shortcut list printout [for FrameMaker] next to my computer when I used FM heavily for our technical manuals. It was impossible for me to keep track of all of them. :slight_smile:

Yes, using Ctrl+Shift to reverse the effect of Ctrl by itself is a very good standard to promote. It certainly reduces the amount of visual reference required to remember all the modifiers for all the apps!

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if more of these very common modifier combinations became standard, like the Ctrl-C & Ctrl-X & Ctrl-V combo, Ctrl-Z, etc.

The standard microsoft cut/paste keys also include Ctrl-Insert (Copy) and Shift-Insert (Paste), but I can never remember which is which, so I never use those shortcuts. C, X, and V are (weirdly) memorable because C stands for Copy, X often implies Delete, and V vaguely looks like an upside-down proofreader’s insert mark (or a knife edge). I guess Ctrl-Z works because Z is the “end” of the alphabet and that connotes ending something, and by some twist of the mind, undoing. Ctrl-Z got started as the standard End of File marker back in the days of 7-bit ASCII limitations in editors like WordStar, so its long history made it memorable, too.

Then (in my dreams), we could begin to standardize a few more keys on the keyboard. Apple removed the Delete function entirely, for no good reason I can think of, and then perversely renamed the backspace function to Delete!

And some crazy person at IBM changed the (then) industry standard Control key to CAPS lock, which is used about once a day, compared to Ctrl, which is used 1,000 times a day. Ctrl was extremely important to the original WordStar interface, because none of the computers in common use had arrow keys, page up/down, home/end, etc. When IBM moved it away to the bottom left, other keyboards placed it in various arbitrary positions, which made many of the “standard” WS combinations impossible to type with the left hand. Now everybody knows how important Ctrl and Alt are, so there are two of them in sensible locations. On the Apple, however, they are named differently, and given “unpronounceable” symbols that require special graphics just to document them! And they added an extra Ctrl key. Just trying to be different, I suppose, since this doesn’t solve any problems, and obviously creates problems for newbies and people who use both systems.

Well, as they say, the great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

Allen