SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

Unable to Install

Hello SmartEdit forums, I’m having a bit of an issue and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve just found SmartEdit Writer, and would really like to use it, but I’ve downloaded the setup application for 7.4 several times, and every time I try and run it, I get the same error message: “The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program.” I’ve not found any other cases of this with this software. Some Youtube tutorials addressing the same error (mostly for video game installations) suggested deleting all the files in the temp folder. This did not help. I’m running Windows 10 if that makes a difference.

I’m very glad to have found this software because it looks like exactly what I need for my project, so this has been a pretty huge disappointment. I hate using Word and do not want to have to buy Scrivener.

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Some (very small number) instances of Google Chrome are causing file corruption as it downloads. If you’re using Chrome, try any other browser (Firefox, Edge, etc.) and you shouldn’t have a problem. I love Chrome myself, but it’s as prone to bugs as any other app.

Thank you. I was using Chrome and actually had the same issue trying with Edge, but with Internet Explorer the file worked. Thank you for your help.