SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

Status of scenes

Is there a function in atomic scribbler to mark the scenes as ‘rough draft’, ‘first draft’ etc? If not, can this be considered for future version of this software?

A good workaround could be creating a note entitled "status - {status goes here}.
The body of the note could be used for any other level notes you might need for that scene.

1 Like

That’s a really good suggestion Rich, and something that I have thought about before. I was close to implementing state flags for scenes way back in pre-version 1 days, but held off implementing it as the clock was ticking. It wasn’t a priority afterwards as no one else ever brought it up but it has stayed on the list.

1 Like

I would make good use of state flags, or [whatever] flags. Provided, of course, that I can name them and have a couple of dozen. Flags or keywords also lend themselves to some color coding somewhere in the UI. Doesn’t have to be the whole background, but color is such a powerful organizing element.

And some way of finding them, of course.

Is it a long way from state flags to tying them to specific blocks of text? Either a highlighted string, or even just a paragraph perhaps… This brings up the whole issue of embedded tags, which isn’t trivial, but opens up lots of possibilities for the future.

Allen

1 Like

I like this idea too. Currently I’m renaming the scene, adding a * at the end to show ones I’ve completed. There is a white icon to the left of the scene name in the doc tree. That same icon in various colors would work for a flagging system - or different icons altogether. Or different colored backgrounds behind the scene name?

A related idea is an auto-calculated percentage completion per scene, maybe a small bar graph. So you set up a word count goal for scenes (could be 1 count for all scenes, like 1500 words). The bar would show where you’re at in terms of that word count for each scene. At least I think I like this idea, but maybe it would be redundant with a flag system.

1 Like

A long way I’m afraid. State flags linked to a scene, note or folder would be quite straight forwards to implement, digging deeper into the scnee text itself not so much.

I’m a bit on the fence at the moment when it comes to expanding the word targets. As the current monthly word counts graphs are stored online, I have a good idea how many people use them, and it’s not a high percentage of users. It may be that the current implementation is too difficulty to use. Have to think about it a bit more.

FWIW, I never use word counts, and find them more distracting than helpful. Now and then as a project completes, I run a manual word count, but as a writer, it’s the content I’m interested in. I don’t need (or want) to know counts until it’s time for publication. Charles Dickens might have wished for realtime word counts, though.

Re: tagging text - Not a big issue. Flags for structural objects will be sufficiently helpful. I might increase the granularity of my scenes to accommodate that, but tagging text can lead to a lot of complexity in managing an emerging story, and that begins to sound like Scrivener.

Not a big deal. I don’t stick to a particular word count, but knowing whether I have 25 words vs 1500 would be helpful. Flagging scenes could serve the same purpose for me.

Bumping this up as I could really use this feature now. :slight_smile:

Do you think this will be added to an upcoming version?

It’s definitely on the list – I could do with it myself around now. At the moment I’m working on some new additions to SmartEdit for Word (and of course, the corresponding features in SmartEdit Writer). This means it won’t be in the few weeks weeks, but I’ll see where things are when I finish the current work load.

1 Like