SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

So glad that I bought Scrivener instead

It was a toss-up between Scrivener and Atomic Scribbler. I asked about a discount for Smart-Edit and was greeted by silence. So I went over and bought Scrivener instead. I’m glad that I did. I got a 20% off coupon, so it was less than $40. S.E. is $57. I’m not going to pay almost $60 for a bare-bones word processor, either. For that kind of money, I want features, tabs, options, options inside of options, etc.
At first, Scrivener is intimidating, but the more you see it and use it, you’ll catch on, eventually. It’s a powerhouse, a super heavyweight, and there’s a reason so many people talk about it. Read the frickin’ manual, watch YouTube videos, and you’ll be fine.

So, how do you like how well various edit programs integrate with Scrivener? None of them do in any meaningful way. As far as I know, Atomic Scribbler is the only writing app that fully integrates an editing program into its user interface.

I have both Scrivener, and Atomic Scribbler. AND Scapple, and I genuinely believe that A.S is a superior writing app. Scrivener, is a bit better for planning IMO though. Try the free Atomic Scribbler program, I think you will likely come to the same conclusion as me.

I plan in Scrivener, and write in Atomic Scribbler, bringing over just enough of the planning infrastructure from Scrivener to be convenient. (usually just the characters, and outline)

But you need to do what works for you, art is never a completely rational thing that lends itself to a cost benefit analysis.

Have not tried AS yet, but I did give Scrivener its best shot. The “scrivenings” feature is handy, and as a research-support and structuring tool, it’s just okay for short projects, but rapidly falls to its knees for the larger stuff.

Most inexcusable about Scrivener is its lack of true styles and outline-level chaptering. Select-and-drag and cut-and-paste are total nightmares. Limited undo. Macro & shortcut programming half-works. Search and replace is s-l-o-w.

Use Word exclusively now; would not go back to Scrivener if they paid me.

@GlenBarrington - I do exactly the same thing. And when I think I’m done editing, I move from AS into InDesign for the final pub layout, etc. (But I’m a designer, too, and I don’t recommend InDesign for writers!)

While it’s in AS, the Smart Edit tests are often very useful, especially for longer documents. But even without SE, I find AS is the simplest editor and the most conducive to “just writing,” which is the most difficult part of the process. So the indispensable component (AS) is also the cheapest (free). Nice.

(Word? Bleccch. Never use it. Been driving me batty since the 1980’s.)

Allen

Well, MS Word (and the rest of the office suite) comes for “free” with my OneDrive subscription, which I think is the best, most cost effective, consumer grade online storage service for Windows users. Especially so if you need more than one account.

Having all that ‘thought processing’ power available still comes in handy at times.

Yes, I realize Word is the de facto word processor for most people (and I guess also for most writers), and I certainly appreciate that it’s an acceptable choice for tens of thousands (millions?) of users. I just can’t stand how it’s designed, and since I do a lot of book interiors, often with manuscripts coming from Word, the amount of clean-up required (due to mis-use of Word features) is a constant source of extra work. Word is very powerful, and many users get very good use out of it. My background includes hands-on experience with several dozen word processors, so I have a slightly ridiculous perspective on what a “good” WP UX should be like. It’s been frustrating to see superior designs disappear just because one product ended up dominating the market. But there’s no point crying over spilt milk (other than this particular rant).

I absolutely have no problem with writers using Word – most of my friends do. I just avoid it like the plague. :yum:

The brain mapping apps are another story – I love to see new ways of managing ideas, etc. I suspect some AI-powered apps will eventually appear that will do some pretty amazing things with our brain-map raw material.

I haven’t used OneDrive much, since I’m already paying for 2TB of Dropbox, and so far I’ve found Dropbox to be incredibly useful. If you want to use it for “virtual” storage (where a file acts like it’s on your disc, but takes up no space, then it costs twice as much, so I think OneDrive may be cheaper in that type of use. But I have 500GB of vital documents on Dropbox, and I happily work with them from various computers in multiple locations and workflows. It’s not exactly a backup solution, but it does keep much of my work off-site and safe. (Safe in that Dropbox is performing industrial-scale multi-site backups all the time.)

Scrivener is pretty good for my style of brainstorming, but I’m frustrated by its somewhat scattered presentation, and even more so by the documentation. When I’ve tried to get clarification, there hasn’t been any response that really helped – especially with output formatting. So I no longer try to design output or use its multi-format capabilities. When the ms gets presentable, it goes into AS until it’s done.

The only S feature I miss in AS is the odd but appealing full-screen typing environment, which I think they’ve done exactly right. But that’s low on my list of wishes for AS.

Irrelevant Update:
I just subscribed to OneDrive to see how the rebirth of on-demand files works out. Glen should get a commission from Microsoft.
Allen

I would take that commision! I CAN be bought, the question is, “for how much!”

It took Microsoft about 4 days to get OneDrive to work on my main machine. It worked on all the others, and my phone, but remained invisible on Kong, the big development system in my office.

Turned out, after a series of very systematic experiments led by an escalating sequence of service reps over 4 days, 3 chats, and 8 emails, that a Registry entry called DisableFileSyncNGSC was set to 1 (disable) and just needed to be cleared to 0.

But I told them about your commission, and they said that if you refer another problematic user like me they will revoke your license to operate Windows.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Now I just have to see if OneDrive does the stuff I need it to do! That will take a while, as I’m pretty entangled with Google Drive, Dropbox, and my own FTP host.

Allen