Version 6 of SmartEdit for Word is almost ready. This is a major upgrade which includes fundamental changes to the user interface inside Word as well as significant usability improvements designed to make it easier to edit your document using SmartEdit.
A beta version is available now for users to try out. The release version, along with a new website, is expected within 2 weeks.
So what’s changed in version 6? Take a look:
- The bottom section that contained the results lists is now gone, replaced with an expanded single SmartEdit results section to the left of the word processor. This can be widened or reduced as desired.
- Small sentence fragments that previously showed some context for a result have been replaced by a richer sentence or paragraph, with the flagged word or phrase highlighted in bold. In most cases, you should be able to see if a change is required without jumping into the Word document itself.
- SmartEdit checks are now grouped by type: Repetitions, Word & Phrase Usage, and Sentences.
- It’s now easier to run individual SmartEdit checks such as word or phrase repetitions, adverb or punctuation checks.
- The dialog tags check has been improved to more accurately show tags used alongside dialog.
- The sentence length graph has been replaced by a list, making it easier to jump straight into individual long sentences.
- A host of bugs and minor issues have been fixed.
If you make heavy use of the Monitored Words and Exclusion lists in version 5, you should read this post about Backing up your custom SmartEdit files before upgrading.
Here’s the download link for the version 6.03 beta: Download here.
Any issues you have, please report them here on the forum, selecting the SmartEdit category when you do so. I’m particularly interested in hearing from users using old versions of Word (2007 and 2010 — 7% of you according to the survey we ran a few weeks back), as we haven’t been able to properly test on these versions. Also, if you’re using a high res 4K monitor, please report any display issues you might encounter.
If you do have issues with the beta, you can roll back by uninstalling version 6 and then re-installing version 5.2 from the website.
The Help section of the website will not be updated with the changes until the release version is ready in a couple of weeks.