SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

Small BUG, two related FEATURE REQUESTS, one ISSUE

Maybe I should have put these into separate posts, but since they’re all related I thought it might make more sense to keep them together.

BUG - Single Click Open

When “single click open” is in effect, clicking on a folder to collapse it immediately opens whatever scene coincidentally lies under the mouse. In other words, the folder-open action doesn’t consume the mouse click, which is then transferred to the scene that happens to get pulled up into that vertical position in the tree.

FEATURE 1 - Single Click Close

In a large project, it’s useful to “glance” at scene contents. For this I use “single click open” to quickly see into a scene. Unfortunately, after peeking at many scenes (often in rapid succession), dozens of tabs are left open although I really don’t want them.

“Close all scenes but this” doesn’t help, because there are still dozen open scenes that I am currently working on. The proliferation of scene tabs makes “single click open” a lot less usable.

A great solution would be to incorporate “single click close” into the single click feature.

“Single click close” would also be useful even when single click open is not active. So it might be worth considering as a separate settings option.

“Click to close” would also be a more contextually relevant way to close scenes. At present, there’s no particular ORDER to the tabs, so if you do have many scenes open, which in my case is most of the time, it can be inconvenient to scroll sideways to find various scenes that are no longer being worked on. Finding them in the tree and clicking there to close them would be more closely related to the actual document structure.

So the two main feature scenarios are –

1. traversing the tree, glancing at scene contents
  2. quickly closing currently open scenes (tabs)

Which leads to another feature I would dearly like to see:

FEATURE 2 - Open Scene Indicators

The scene currently displayed in the edit window is indicated in the tree by a tiny red check-disc. This is necessary for basic usability. But it would also be very helpful if there were a visual indication of all open scenes. Perhaps the same checkdisc, but in another color?

These added indicators would substantially aid in using the “click to close” workflow described above. In fact, they would make it a great alternative to managing the tabs individually.

ISSUE WITH TABS - Automatic Scrolling

I think this has been raised before. When many tabs are in use, closing tabs on the right side doesn’t automatically pull the tab display “flush right” to expose as many open tabs as possible. This results in seeing, a few tabs on the left with lots of blank space to the right, when there are still many more tabs off-screen on the left.

Thanks, and stay safe,

Allen

1 Like

Yep, what Allen says. I agree and have desired a feature like this for quite some time. Many open tabs with only the “close all scenes but this” is too specific to the one active tab/scene. I want to be able to maybe “control click” all the scenes to close (or leave open) at once, leaving the unchosen scenes (plural) open or closed. The simplest, most intuitive way to do it is fine with me. Thanks. Allen, I’m glad to have you in this forum to suggest everything I desire. I have never disagreed with any of your suggestions and usually have the same wishes but could not explain them nearly as well as you. So thanks. I also understand that we can’t have everything we wish for or SEW would not be the simple, intuitive, great program Darren has made it. Thanks to you too Darren.

Thanks Allen, some very good suggestions there.

I haven’t encountered any of these issues myself, but then I don’t use the single click option at all in my own workflow, and I tend to only have a small number of tabs open at any one time. I’ll add them to the list, as they would definitely be of benefit to a lot of users.

@forness & @Darren

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Frankly, I only just started using Single-Click-Open a few weeks ago. But it immediately became useful, and then I immediately realized how much more useful it would be with Single-Click-Close!

UI design definitely involves some telepathy and precognition.

Allen

It was difficult for me to duplicate that first bug you found @ATC , but I think it’s fixed in the version 8 release. I’ve also partially addressed the multi tab closing by changing the open position of scenes in version 8, making it easier to close recently opened scenes in bulk using the Close all scenes to the right option.

I’ll have to think a little more on how best to approach indicating multiple open scenes.

With Version 8, I opened a random collection of Huck scenes, about doubling the number of tabs that fit on the tab bar. Then I double-clicked the top edge of the app, causing Windows to snap it to the full height of the screen (which is UHD). I mention this because it might be relevant, although I haven’t yet tested its involvement.

Then I selected a visible tab, one tab in from the right edge, which was also the next to last tab to the right.

I clicked the x on this penultimate tab, and ALL VISIBLE TABS disappeared except the RIGHTMOST tab, which is now fully to the left, and the only one visible.

The tab bar, in other words, has just one tab showing, and the SELECTED tab is off-screen now.

I then scrolled the tab bar to the right (using the left arrow button), until the very first (left-most) tab was showing. Whenever I delete a tab via the x button, the list scrolls left, leaving enough blank space to accommodate several tabs.

In other words, I would expect that deleting a tab would pull the list together from the right, closing the hole, and leaving the leftmost tab in position. Instead, the gap is closed, and some random? number of tabs is arranged to the left.

I think it’s most helpful if the act of deleting a tab leaves the remaining tabs occupying as much of the bar as possible, without a blank area.

I guess the logic I would use is to note the leftmost tab, close the gap, then make sure the leftmost is still in position. If the tab-bar is not full, then scroll right until it is.

I hope this is useful…!

Allen

That is the desired outcome – automatically pulling tabs from the left to fill the available space. This is definitely on the list – annoys me too when I have a lot of tabs open.

Thanks again!

(20 characters)