SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

Small bug to do with scenes

Okay, so I accidentally pressed a shortcut button by mistake (Ctrl + something) and it created a new scene, which became nested inside a note file. I’m assuming the new scene shortcut is the culprit. This seems to be the only way to nest scenes within notes, so I’m not sure you intended to do that

Hi Blackmoore,
No, that’s not a bug. I can tell you what you did. :slight_smile:

(1) The shortcut for creating (adding) a new scene is Ctrl+Shift+S.
See also [PDF] user manual, page 59 “Shortcut Keys”.
That’s the combination you must have used to create a new scene.

(2) The note where this scene is now created, was selected [and active] at the time when you used the new scene shortcut. Of course, it get created in whatever is currently selected.
You can easily reproduce this any time. Go the the left side, select a folder and create a new note there - just for testing. Open the note, hit your shortcut combination for creating a scene, and viola… you have a new scene sitting nested in your newly created test note. :slight_smile:
That’s normal.
P.S. It goes without saying that the same happens if you have the ‘Project’ bar selected at the top and hit ‘Add Scene’ with your mouse. :slight_smile:

Okay, thanks. If that’s the case, why is the right click create scene greyed out on notes? I’ve never been able to nest them like that manually.

You shouldn’t be able to do this. Adding a scene to a note is one of the deliberate limitations. Have you been able to do this more than once using the short cut keys?

Darren, I can do this anytime. Since this works without any error, I didn’t give it much thought but considered it ‘normal’. It can be reproduced at will.

Hans

Several times, but only by accident. That’s why I assumed it was a bug.

By the way - for some reason, whenever I start the program the document tree is closed. I’m not sure why as I never close it. I don’t know if this is a bug or not, but it would be nice to have an option for it to be open at start.

OK - I can duplicate the issue now. I was scratching me head there for a while as it doesn’t always work.

There is an intermittent bug that causes the Document tree to be closed on opening a project, but it only manifests for me about once every few weeks, so I haven’t found the cause yet. You’re encountering the problem every time you open a project?

Yes. That is odd. It’s every time for me. I’m not sure, but the program used to have an issue with deleting settings when you quit suddenly, without closing it properly. That was fixed by me getting a new computer, but I think it may still be an issue. My hunch was always that the program was resetting/overwriting the settings file when it started up. If so, I’d say it’s because I shut the program, and then instantly shutdown windows. That may be forcing it to quit.

This setting is stored in each project’s own settings file, which also contains the list of open scenes for that project. If the open scenes are remembered correctly each time you re-open a project, then it’s not the settings file that’s causing the problem here.

I see. Well, I’m not sure then. I wish I could show you, but it’s a regular thing. The only time it doesn’t happen is when I update.

I’ll put something in to see if I can mitigate this. It wasn’t a concern when it was happening so rarely, but if it’s happening every time it’s a bit more serious.

Thanks a lot Darren, that really makes my day. :slight_smile: By the way, is it possible to add words to your spellchecker dictionary? I’ve been collecting a list of missing words for a while now, and I’m wondering if I should continue? I could also do a list of common misspellings for the auto-correct I’d you like?

By the way, I just encountered the undo/type/redo bug again. It’s been quiet for a while, but I think I typed too quickly after pressing undo.

You can add words to your custom dictionary in bulk by right clicking on a misspelled word (red underline), select Spelling, click Options and then Edit the custom dictionary. Or one at a time as you find them using the Add to Dictionary menu option.

The auto-correct list is already quite large (1800 pairs of words). If you have some obvious ones that aren’t applying themselves, pass them along and I’ll take a look. Thanks.

Thanks, I’ll do that.