SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

Slowwww opening program

I just restarted my computer because of computer updates and now the SEW is slowwwww in opening up. Could this be due to a compatible problem?

No, It’s [most likely] because of Win10’s latest updates. Windows OS fragments the hard disk all the time. Even during normal operation. Fragmentation makes the system slower and slower over time.
So, users need to defrag their system now and then. This is especially important after an update from Windows, since updates usually leave a lot of unnessary files behind. I call it trash.

Now… I’m guessing, but there is a high possibility that you either never — or maybe a long time ago — defragged your system drive [C:]. Am I right?

After the last Windows update, your system may be just enough fragmentated to finally react with ‘extreme crawling’.

What you need to do is to use Windows’ file explorer, select drive C: and open ‘Properties’. Use the displayed option (button), to clean drive C:.
The next two steps are backing your system up and then defragging it.

Of course, you can defrag without making a backup, but there is always a chance that something goes wrong with a defrag. If you back the system up ahead of defragging, you have a working system sitting there to restore and to start all over again.

Another option could be, if this happened very suddenly’, that one of your RAM modules died, and you simply run your system with 50% of your original RAM.
Check first if you have the same amount of RAM working. Otherwise get a replacement module for the faulty one. S*** happens, you know?

That’ll do it. However, this is a forum for SmartEdit/SmartEdit Writer and not for OS training. So, I don’t want to abuse it for this kind of help. If you don’t know what I’m talking about… you know how to reach me. Just send me an email, and I prepare short step-by-step instructions with screenshots for you. You’ll get it as a PDF if you need one. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hans

1 Like

I was just wondering if there could be a weakness there. Okay, there isn’t. I optimize my computer once a week. I’ll just start doing it a second time whenever there’s updates too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The one caveat to hamaer’s excellent advice is that if you have an SSD drive (which occupies drives C, D and E on my computer), defragmenting is contra-indicated. On physical media, a file goes into a contiguous sequence of sectors on the drive (think BIIIIIG Phonograph). Now, when a change is made and the next sector in the sequence is occupied, the drive finds a spot for the changes, writes it there and sets up a pointer to the new little sequence of new bits. That can actually move the reading head of the physical media all the way across the surface of the disk. Make enough changes and the original sequence becomes a series of start here, go over there, come back here, go over to a different place. In other words, what has been a smoothly curved line starts to look like an electrocardiograph. Moving the head is ultra fast, but make it jump around long enough, you get actual slowness that you can perceive. Thus, the need to defragment, which simply means putting everything back into one lone long sequence per file that can be read from start to finish without bouncing around.

Now on SSD (Solid State Drive) drives, everything is on one big digital memory stick. No bouncing reading head. It’s read this spot, then this spot and so and so on. That they MAY be next to each other is serendipity having nothing to do with the reading of the data. Defragmenting is possible but actually SLOWS down the computer in that the time taken doing it is lost time with no productivity gain.

UNLESS, things have reached SUCH a state of gnarliness that there is damage to the internal directory of what bits belong to what files and such. (Been there, not pleasant). MOST people would NOT reach that state without a determination to do so.

So, if the drives Windows and/or SEW are using are SSD drives, no defragging. If physical media, then defrag. The internal utility for Windows 10 will do the job. If not Win 10, but still in the Windows sphere, there are alternatives and a search on the internet can list what is currently best during the current year.

Hi Gary, that SSD drives cannot (or should not) be defragged is only correct if you use Window’s built-in defrag option. Third party software offers separate defrag routines — selectable from within the program — for either HDD or SSD.

I work with both, PC with two physical HDD (drive C, and D) as well as a laptop with a SSD drive. Both have the same defrag software installed, and are kept clean this way.

OO Software (www.oo-software.com) has backup and defrag software I use for years now. Until they released the latest version for Defrag, their [selectable] option for SSD was ‘optimize SSD with TRIM’.
Now, with version 23, they added even an additional defrag option to the menu, which is soft on both SSD and HDD. You should check this out.

I place a screenshot from their online feature description here with my comment. O&O offers commercial software as well as software for personal use. The latter ones are in an affordable price range for writers.

Hans

Hans,

The … discussion … of SSD defragging is not finished with yay or nay being the decisive answer. I’m in the Nay camp because my hardware guy is adamant about it. It’s useless without TRIM and MANY people do not have that feature turned on. I run HD Sentinel to watch out over my drives (Just last week, one of my 8T Seagate Externals was almost dead, going from 100 percent health to five percent in three days, but I got it off-line in time thanks to HDS where the HW guy is currently porting over the files MOSTLY intact to a new drive). HDS doesn’t even suggest defragging. So, with a trusted piece of software and my HW guy’s opinion, my own opinion is for Nay. Defragging cleans up the access table, nothing really more. And it adds a bit of wear and tear … significant when a drive is dying within warranty time (awfully rare) and mostly insignificant outside of it. Even the most ardent fan of defragging an SSD can’t produce results noticeable to an independent third party all the time. FEELS faster, is a feeling, not something to go to court on. And even then, Bible in hand, I’m sure the same observer would be having doubts.

Companies that provide third-party defragging will cite this or that but it still comes down to read and write requests DIRECTLY accessing a bit to flip and flipping it or reading it. Where ever it is. I will note the second paragraph in the Defrag 23 note above is a masterful bit of lawyerly writing. In fact, it IS possible on a hard disk to improve speed of reading and writing on first blush of defragging to half the time. But the paragraph conflates defragging hard disks and SSDs and THOSE are NOT the same improvement-wise. In fact, the same conflation occurs in the third paragraph AND there is demonstrably a falsehood in the final sentence, since defragging exposes the SSD to MORE wear and tear, if only for the re-arranging. The fourth paragraph is a bunch of words thrown together. A poor translation. O&O provide the very important ShutUp utility so, I wish them no ill. And I’ve use the Backup program. Twice. But the defrag utility is not necessary and probably won’t ever do something good enough to actually improve one’s experience with a decent SSD.

Now, I’m semi-educated on the matter. I read enough, talk to people enough, to have an opinion. That said, others, including yourself, are convinced defragging produces results on a TRIM-enabled SSD to say they NOTICE an improvement. I have no refutation for that. You say you notice an improvement, I take you at your word. We use different equipment. And my eyesight ain’t what it used to be. So, a checkmark for defragging from you.

Trialware can be a marvelous thing. GM

By the way, I am NOT employed or connected in any way beyond being a user of Hard Disk Sentinel. I recommend the product, even if it hadn’t, apparently, just saved close to 8T’s of data for me. I have backups of the photographs and home movies that are on that drive. But it’s NICE to keep the originals nice and safe. Without the warning email about that drive’s sudden and massive deterioration, I would have had to spend time and money retrieving the backups from Amazon Glacier, on top of the already required replacement storage capacity. I use HDS on all the family computers and my two biggest clients are protected too. If you hammer away at your drives, Hard Disk, SSD or external boxes of either sort, then you owe yourself a little piece of mind. HDS watches over your storage. VERY IMPORTANT.

I have a Dell and it came with support, which I just renewed. In its support folder there are 5 different programs that help make the machine function better. I have it scheduled to run once per week. If I think it needs it in between, I’ll running while eating a meal.

Yes, the defragmenter for Windows won’t run on my E drive because the flash drive I have there is removable.

Gary,

Thanks for mentioning HDS. It just happened, that my older ‘HDD watch dog’ (my wording) got replaced with a newer version, and that one doesn’t support external drives, connected via USB, anymore. Don’t know what the developers were thinking, but that’s beyong the point. Reading your comment, I searched for HD Sentinel quick, and bookmarked the page.

Early prevention is always on my mind. I’m going and download HDS after I log out here. Thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

Hans

Glynis,

There IS such a thing as over-doing computer tasks. Been true forever. The best defragger of all time was Steve Gibson’s Spinrite and I was a 1.0 user of the product. I have not run Spinrite this decade. It’s like the monitor screens that bounced around to prevent screen burn-in. Those were the old cathode ray TV solutions for burn-in. And if you worked hard, they STILL burnt in anyways. But that kind of protection hasn’t been necessary since the early Aughts. LED and other advanced monitor types don’t need them. Turning them off at night or when away for more than an hour, plenty good enough and even that’s a bit of overkill. I also used to turn off the computer and put dust covers on it at night. These days, I run for 20 days, get an email from my task schedule, and reboot. There’s STILL something nasty in Windows that begins to chew up stuff on the 21st day. Never been cured. But until day 20, I run 24/7 using the ‘down’ time of watching ball-games to eat AND have the computer back up so many times, I’m sure some people think I’m nuts. By the way, as a programmer, I obsess about leaving one measley bit of unreturned memory at closing time. Microsoft?? Check before and after when running ANY Office application. Just sayin’.

Ultimately, YOUR comfort trumps my warnings of over-caution. IF the computer is phoning home with your metrics, I’d examine whether the hit on my privacy is warranted. Most makers HATE SUPPORT. If they are supporting you, you are paying a good penny for it. There’s a reason Window 10 is so buggy and that subject is worth searching YouTube for. Support savings for Microsoft mean headaches for we few that don’t run vanilla installs or that use software that Microsoft doesn’t WANT to support. The database backbone I use (and have for three decades plus) is one of them. Sigh. Wah, wah, wah!!! I tire of my own whining. The bottom line is that you are happy with your setup. But I caution you to examine each of those five and research them on the internet. The groupthink on the programs might get you to run them Monthly or semi-yearly or not at all. They are always around when specific problems pop up.

Wear and tear, if it’s unnecessary, is always going to ultimately be costly. So says my HW guy, who laughs at the places I have backups of my data and what I pay for them.

GM

1 Like