SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

SEW 9 - false ransomware ID from Malware Bytes 4.3.0

After extensive editing of a very large ms for almost two hours, SEW 9.0 was terminated by Malware Bytes 4.3.0, which identified it as ransomware. It was easy to “restore” SEW 9.0, but I thought you should know. It might have nothing to do with 9.0, also, since Malware Bytes took 2 hours to trigger. My guess is that some virtually random pattern in the many work-files of this doc may have suddenly matched a virus signature, but that’s only a wild guess.

Nothing was lost or corrupted, which is testimony to the constant saving and robustness of SEW document handling.

One minor issue did come to mind. When I reopened the document in SEW, the UI was in the now ancient state it had been in, hours ago, when I first began working. It appears that although documents are constantly saved, the state of the UI isn’t preserved until the document is closed. I would prefer that the UI state is saved periodically to better prepare for just this situation I encountered. Under some circumstances it could be very inconvenient, especially in a large document, for the current state of the tree and all the open chapters to be reverted. Just a thought, but it would add to the crash-proof qualities of SEW.

Allen

Thanks for the report Allen. Looks like a false positive at Malwarebytes. The build is only a day old, which might account for the issue. I’ve opened a ticket on their forum to get it resolved.

You’re right about the tree not being saved in the event of a crash or forced stop. Changes to the open and closed status of a tree node, as well as changes to the position of items in the tree are only saved on project close. Everything else is saved in real time, but these can can revert if there’s a crash.

I’ll add a fix for that to the list.

Not sure if it’s related but when I installed 9 on Windows 10 it came up with the red ‘are you sure you trust it’ box which I don’t think has appeared before.

Thanks! BTW, it just happened again, after another long editing session. These sessions were largely opening and closing every scene/chapter and adding a title line (for the Drafts feature) and a consistent number of blank lines at the end.

If the draft had an option to use scene names as titles, that would be great.

I discovered an unexpected “feature” – when I exported this very long book to RTF, and then had Acrobat convert it to a PDF, the title lines I had inserted (just 2 pts larger and bold) got preceded by page breaks, which was just what I would have wanted – if there had been some way to specify that.

Is this a setting for pagebreaks between scenes that I missed? Sure looks like it … But I didn’t see the page breaks in WordPad, so they don’t seem to be in the RTF.

One other anomaly cropped up in the export – font changes within a scene, showing up in WordPad and PDFs, but there’s no font change shown within SEW. These changes persist even after highlighting the whole scene and forcing a font and point size. No doubt this is residual RTF kaka from previous formatting, but it’s a bit of a nuisance. Until I find a workaround, which I suspect I will…

Allen

Ah yes. A new setting in Settings that I missed – because I haven’t looked at Settings for, oh, a year or so.

This time I exported a single scene in Palatino Linotype, and the RTF came out in Calibri. Currently, the notes setup calls for Calibri, but I don’t know fi that’s relevant. In my other doc, the fonts were switching back and forth within one scene.

Allen

@JonT
The newness of the download is causing a few issues with the Windows SmartScreen. Haven’t seen it in a while, but it’s still safe to install. The SmartScreen flags downloaded apps that haven’t been downloaded often - one of the problems with apps that don’t have a gazillion users.

@ATC
I’ll have to look into that font issue. I thought I’d fixed all of those in the export, but it looks like not. It’s still Malwarebytes that’s closing the app for you?

Yes, Malware Bytes.

Xtra chars to reach 20