Atomic Scribbler Home · SmartEdit Home · Help

Search & Replace ignores tab context

I just noticed that if I do a Search & Replace in a given tab, and then change tabs, the search seems to be still tied to the previously edited tab. To search in the current tab, I have to close the search window and reopen it. I’m pretty sure this isn’t the way it’s supposed to work.

Allen

Nice catch Allen. It never occured to me to even check something like that.

Working with this big novel (160,000 words, 92 chapters) has revealed a few other things regarding the tree and tab bar. Not bugs – but some conveniences that would be a huge help.

1. Collapse entire tree. Since this project uses top-level folders as Chapters, with titles, the best way to get an overview of the structure is to collapse the tree so it shows only the top level.

2. Mouse Wheel side-scrolling of tab bar. I’m incessantly scrolling the tab bar to bring into view the chapters I’m working on. If the Mouse Wheel scrolled the tabs during MouseOver, that would be great. Perhaps also Alt-LeftArrow and Alt-RightArrow…

3. If Ctrl-G brings the current Tree node into view, how about Ctrl-Shift-G to bring the current Tab into view? One of the reasons I’m doing so much Tab scrolling is just to get back to it.

4. Optional multiple-row Tab bar. With 92 chapters, if I do anything global, I end up with dozens and dozens of tabs open. While the Tab-navigating tools I mentioned would be a big help, there are times when being able to see ALL the furshluginner Tabs at once would be indispensable. One huge reason would be …

5. Rearrange Tabs. I really need to be able to rearrange Tabs. I need to remove some of them from view, and I need to get certain Tabs together in groups (e.g., working on one character in many Scenes). If I’m stuck with the order I opened them, then the Tab bar becomes more confusing than useful and I end up just working in the Tree. But the single-click access via the tab bar is VERY convenient.

6. Display “editor location,” showing either breadcrumb trail to current Scene or just current Scene name. Click to toggle. If the current Scene’s Tab is off-screen (which in my case it usually is, without #2), then I have no way of knowing what the name of the Scene is. Other than Ctrl-G, but I really would prefer to just glance up …

7. Make the current Tab more clearly highlighted. The missing bottom edge isn’t a sufficient visual cue, at least for me. Not easy enough to see at a glance. Please color or shade the active tab.

6A. OK, I’d also like a live-update indicator of some kind on the Tree for the current Scene, with optional scroll to keep in view. But that’s way down the list compared to 1-6.

I’ve drifted into other wishlist items, so I’ll just go ahead and list them here. I hope you don’t mind them all turning up in this thread.

.7. Automatically convert imported or pasted text with straight quotes into curly.

.8. Let me select more paragraph formatting details for defaults. No Inter-Para Leading and Small Para Indent, for example. I’m not agitating for Styles, although they’re hard not to like, but the default settings could be more granular.

.9. Right-Click in blank Tree area should bring up context menu.

.10. Second-Click Tree nodes to rename them. It’s such a hard-wired reflex to do that …

.11. An affordance for creating multiple folders at once. I knew I had to create 92 Chapter folders, but boy, was it boring! (Also, when the tree is filled up you have to keep jumping back up to the Tree title-bar so you can right-click to create a new top-level Folder, which adds to the tedium of 92 chapters. See #9.)

Along those lines, I could see supporting just a hint of Atomic tagging for imported files. Specifically, a tag in an ASCII file that would produce a new top-level folder with a specified name. E.g., {{[Introduction]}} results in the next text flowing into a folder called “Introduction”. (I couldn’t use angle brackets in example.)

.12. Select discontiguous Scenes and then right-click “Open into Tabs.”

.13. Right-Click a Folder to “open all contained Scenes into Tabs.” Alt-Click a Folder to expand or collapse entire folder.

.14. The light blue “not-saved” color of the tiny disc in the top right is almost indistinguishable from the light grey “saved” icon.

Phew! Enough for now. (Actually I don’t have any more at the moment.) I’m doing a lot of reorganizing of this manuscript, so I realize most of these wishes are related to that activity. Hopefully that makes it more useful to see so many in one burst.

[Couldn’t figure out how to get forum editor list numbering not to restart.]

Thanks,

Allen

That’s a great list Allen — and a great help too. I hadn’t really considered the problems that an abundance of open tabs can cause, so I might have to spend some time playing around with this to see what solution might work best.

Great! I look forward to your upcoming innovations.

Naturally, I’d be happy to test any UX experiments you might want to explore.

Allen