SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

Questions about SmartEdit Writer

So I found SmartEdit Writer (then Atomic Scribbler) when I was looking for an alternative to Scrivener, which is a bit too pricey for me. I’m glad I found this program and love that 1) it’s free and 2) it allows for your story and research to all be in one place. However, I do have some questions about it.

• I write a lot of short stories, which are usually in an individual document (or scene, to use SEW’s phrasing). Is it possible to just have an unnamed scene?

• Is there a way to update SEW w/o uninstalling the app? I have it on windows 10 and for some reason, when I tried to update it to v7.1 it wouldn’t let me and I had to uninstall and reinstall.

• Is it possible to use SEW on multiple computers?

Yes, you can create a scene and leave the name blank, but why would you want this? If you have two unnamed scenes you won’t be able to tell which is which.

You shouldn’t need to uninstall in order to install the latest version. If you’re having installation failures, there’s an alternate download link on each post for that release. SmartEdit Writer 7.1 released

I’m assuming you mean opening the same project on multiple computers. This topic in the Knowledge Base addresses that question in detail: https://www.smart-edit.com/Writer/Knowledge/Page/MultiplePCs/