SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

Problem with Scene Defaults

In my latest project I don’t was the first line indented and I want paragraphs single-spaced with a full line-space between them. I opened up the Scene Default setting and clicked on the paragraph icon to change the setting as I want them. Before, the setting were set at double-spacing and indentation of the first line of each paragraph. It looked like I had succeeded in changing this but when I looked at my scene, the double-spacing and indentations were still there.

How do I fix this?

1 Like

The Scene Default settings aren’t retroactive, so they only apply to new scenes created after the defaults were changed. The only solution I can think of is to redo the paragraph settings manually, one scene at a time. It would be great if we could reapply the new defaults to an entire project, or to selected scenes, in one step, but I think Darren is disinclined to get much deeper into visual formatting. The trouble is that we often don’t know what our preferred layout will be until we’ve worked with the program for a while. And for some writers it’s relevant to use different appearances for different kinds of material.

Allen

Thank you for your reply, Allen.

Luckily, I was working on this particular project in a word processor at first. If I understand you correctly, I can just delete what I transferred or delete the whole project and start over again, making sure to set the defaults before importing into it.

Am I right?

Yes, that’s one way. If the project isn’t too cumbersome, you could also just highlight a scene and then set the paragraph settings the way you want – all the text formatting would change accordingly. But it may be easier the way you suggested if there are more than a few scenes to be updated.

Allen

Just to let you know, Allen, my format for my new project is squared away now. I deleted the project seeing I didn’t have much in it and started over again making sure to adjust the defaults before importing.

Excellent. Glad you’re all set. SEW is almost unprecedentedly simple, but we’re so accustomed to vast, complex apps that it takes a little to get used to it.

Allen