Atomic Scribbler Home · SmartEdit Home · Help

PDF Manual For Scribbler

Is there a PDF manual available for Atomic Scribbler? If not, I hink it would be a good idea to make one. All other writing editors I use have PDF manuals.

Well, as far as I know there is no PDF available [yet]. However, I come from the technical sector and created training manuals for airline maintenance. I could take the available online content and create one for everybody to use, future updates included.

It really depends on whether Darren wants me to chime in and do this for the community.

Darren, can you leave me a message about your opinion for this project?

• Hans

If you’re open to doing that Hans that would be great. But you might want to wait until later next week as there’ll be a new release mid-week along with some new pages in the Knowledge Base on the website.

O.K. I’ll wait till the new version is out next week, and then take the whole Knowledge Base content to create a user manual in PDF.

I assume that most users are currently somewhere here in Europe. So, the initial user manual will be done in A4 size and optimized for screen. Yet, I keep the option open to create one in Letter size for international use in the U.S. (just to cater to this market too). However, the initial one will be in A4 format.

For reading on the screen, this shouldn’t make a difference anyway. Choice of either A4 or Letter size is only effecting printouts on paper. :slight_smile:

Hans

Just to let everybody know, that I’m going to work on Atomic Scribbler’s user manual this weekend. So expect next week - with the new features of version 2.0 included - a PDF version available. It will be released by Darren of course. I’m just the writer. :slight_smile:

Also, the user manual will be screen optimized, which keeps the file size down without any compromises on quality.

Hans

Thanks for doing the work on this Hans.

Thanks, hamaer. Looking forward to it!

Allen

The new PDF user manual that Hans put together from the Knowledge Base and Blog is now available for download. It’s also linked to from the top of the main Knowledge Base page on the website, so that users who would like an offline reference can download it.

This is excellent - just what I needed for offline reference. The one thing I might suggest is to add a table of contents to the beginning right after the title page.

Thanks much Hans and Darren.

This is very helpful. Thanks for the work!

The only thing that seems to be missing (I haven’t searched thoroughly) is a keyboard shortcut table. Given the existence of important but invisible affordances, a shortcut list would be very useful for a lot of us. This probably has to come from Darren, though, who I’m sure isn’t at all busy with other things…

Allen

Actually Hans created bookmarks so if you open the PDF in Adobe Reader, you will see the bookmarks in the left panel which are fine for using as a table of contents.

Actually, I was referring to keyboard shortcuts for operating Atomic Scribbler, not the PDF. For instance:

Ctrl-C - Copy
Ctrl-V - Paste
Ctrl-Z - Undo
Ctrl-Y - Redo
Ctrl-G - Goto to current Scene in the Tree

etc.

Allen

I can insert an additional page with a shortcut list, ATC. There might be a few that are software specific. Yet, most of the shortcuts are not program related but Windows OS related. They exist since Windows 95, and I thought they were common knowledge. They work with any software.

Who really need to have shortcuts for ‘Copy’ and ‘Paste’ or ‘Undo’ and ‘Redo’ listed nowadays? Windows’ Notepad, Write, MS Word, or any of Adobe’s software products have the same shortcut functions.

I’ll go through the documentation and add a collection of shortcuts. Just not in the next days.

Absolutely correct. There is a reason why I didn’t include a ToC. The disadvantage of a ToC is that you always have to scroll back if you want to navigate.

The beauty of PDF bookmarks is that they are always at your hand without scrolling up to the ToC again. BTW, I set the PDF configuration to open with bookmarks. So you guys don’t have to open them in the first place.

The pages are set to continuous scrolling for better reading with text overflowing to the next page. The manual opens with a 110% view. I chose this as a base because monitor resolution depends on the size of the screen, and on user customization.

Yet, PDF software offers an easy way to enlarge or reduce this with the mouse. For those who are not so familiar with it, the use of [Ctrl] and [+] enlarge the view while [Ctrl] and [-] reduce the view.

Here again, that’s not PDF specific but Win OS related. It works the same way in a web browser for example. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

It’s not really a matter of “who needs [a list] nowadays?” Such a list will actually be useful for lots of users. (May there be lots of users!)

While most people may indeed be familiar with standard Win shortcut keys (e.g., Ctrl-Ins, Shift-Ins), it’s still helpful for newbies to mention that.

In addressing AS for the first time, my experience with dozens of word processing programs teaches me that like all the others, AS will have a unique list of shortcuts. I might discover the presence of those OS-dependent assignments, but I can learn a lot about a new program from a quick look at the keyboard shortcuts. If there isn’t one, I just remain uninformed. Who would assume that OS defaults are the only shortcuts used? It isn’t immediately obvious that Ctrl-+ produces a weird subscript, and Ctrl-Shift-+ produces superscript. These, I suspect, are features of the RTF lib being used. Others, like Ctrl-G (for “Go”?) are purely app-specific.

I really appreciate your going to the trouble of producing this PDF manual, and I look forward to its continuing evolution alongside AS itself. Also, since printed communications lack emotive dimensions, I hope these remarks don’t seem in the least bit negative. They were written with a friendly smile on my face . . . .

Allen

.>>…I look forward to its continuing evolution alongside AS itself. Also, since printed communications lack emotive dimensions, I hope these remarks don’t seem in the least bit negative…<<

Don’t worry Allen. I didn’t take it as negative comments at all. :slight_smile: I’m not so easily to be offended, and I’m around the block for quite a few years [like many others here might be as well]. I probably take a few thing as so common knowledge already that I don’t consider them noteworthy anymore.

I’ll go through the documentation and collect all those shortcuts mentioned there. The list will be send to Darren to add some existing ones that weren’t mentioned yet. That saves him time and I get a complete collection. Newbies will find those standard shortcuts you mentioned as well. The list will be added as an additional page to the manual, and implemented into the bookmark tree of course.

BTW, yes the manual will evolve alongside AS itself. I’ll take care of that. Comments, whether positive or negative, are always welcomed. :slight_smile:

Hans

Just an info for everybody, that the updated user manual for version 2.30 is ready and has been sent to Darren. So, you will have a new version as a PDF available soon.

As with prior versions, the contents is created as a bookmarks tree and already present when you open the PDF. It’s set to open at 100 % and continuous scroll instead of page by page.

Like before, the file name contains the version number at the end. Just move your mouse over the download link and check that the file name ends with …v2_30.pdf
That way you know when Darren has the latest manual versions uploaded. :slight_smile:

Hans

Thanks Hans,

That’s available for download now.

Just a thought, as over time, @hamaer might not have time to update this. Would it be wise to put this on Github so that others can help?

No need for now – Hans hasn’t let us down yet. I’m sure he’ll shout if it becomes too much or if he needs any help.