SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

OS Compatibility

Is SEW compatible with Ubuntu?

I have a friend who’s worried about Win 7 not being supported anymore, and is thinking of switching to Ubuntu.
Another writing program we both have is not compatible with Ubuntu.
I thought I could point her here again, if it will work.

Thanks!

No, SmartEdit Writer won’t run on any Linux operating system.

If you, or your friend, are serious about moving to Linux, I’d say your ‘authorship’ choices are somewhat limited compared to the PC or the Mac. I experimented with Linux on an old laptop a couple of months ago. About the ONLY Linux app that didn’t make me feel like I was giving something important up was Plume, but it was not as smooth in its operation as SEW, Scrivener, or even yWriter (which is hardly the world’s greatest user interface)

Naturally, if you are willing to use an internet browser-based application, then you will find many subscription applications open to you, especially if you use Chromium. Which is the OpenSource version of Google Chrome. I didn’t find any of the browser-based apps problematic in a Linux/Chromium platform, but then those apps DO require a monthly subscription.

I experimented a bit with Crossover, and could get Scrivener 1.9 to work with it, but I could not get any flavor of SEW, or Atomic Scribbler to work with it or the Open Source (free) version equivalent, called Wine. Wine, and Crossover, are great when they work with the software you want to use, but they are quirky as all hell, and there’s no guarantee that the NEXT version of your favorite software will work with the combination of Wine/Crossover and Linux.

I would say SEW offers the best cost/value ratio out there, right now. But you have to be willing to use Windows. Second best is Scrivener, it allows you to migrate to a Mac, or iPad, but that’s it. Linux, Chrome, or Android simply can’t be used with them.

Life is FULL of compromise and this is one of those compromises!

1 Like

Thanks, Glen.
I’m not sure what she will do about windows 7, but I will pass along this information.

There’s always Libre Office for Linux. Libre Writer won’t have the author-specific features of SEW of course.
https://www.libreoffice.org/

Thanks! I’m learning Libre Writer in Win 10, in place of Microsoft word.
There are many programs for Linux, but she wants to use what she bought and knows. Me too! I guess she’ll just have to rely on Win7 forums, and keep running it.

I’ve often considered switching to LInux, but I have way too much Windows software that I love. :slight_smile:

Me too! So very many! :joy:

For those who really, REALLY want to get away from Windows, without going to the Mac, I’ve been experimenting with a bunch of software titles that would allow me to use my Android tablet in addition to my PC. I can’t give up my PC because of my photography. And really, I don’t want to give up the PC.

Microsoft OneNote, which is a Note taking app, can be used fairly well as the organizing, planning and Outlining application, which would leave your favorite word processor available for the actual writing. OneNote isn’t quite as efficient as the tree structure found in SEW or Scrivener, but the ability to work across OS lines is very attractive.

I’m using MS Word as my WP. They work well together, and Microsoft OneDrive is packaged in the Office365 deal with a free copy of MS Office for the PC, Mac, and Android (one each, not one copy - your choice!). Plus, this will also allow you to use the online version for Chrome and Linux with OneDrive. So ALL the consumer operating systems are covered in some way.

The biggest problem is that this combination effectively keeps the single OS solutions like Scrivener and SEW from being effectively used. If you use OneNote for the things I listed, you could use Scrivener or SEW for your WP when on the PC, but I’ve found it’s just easier to use a good generic, multiplatform WP like MS Word or Libre Office Write rather than going through the trouble of importing and exporting text.

It’s kind of weird that the software that most effectively allows us to move away from Windows, is also produced by the company that produces Windows.

The stand-alone Windows versions of SEW, and Scrivener are superior in almost every way to the method described above, but they are a single OS solution. I’m not sure what this will mean for them in the future, most users want to blur those once rigid OS lines.