Atomic Scribbler Home · SmartEdit Home · Help

Miscellaneous Buglets (2.0)

Fonts don’t always work.

1. I set the New Scenes Font preference to Palatino Linotype, and pasted in about 10 scenes. Saved and exited. Started new session and noticed that those scenes reverted to Calibri. The Preference setting is still Palatino. Closed and reopened.

2. Some fonts don’t display at all in AS:
    Select all text in a Scene. Change font to Adobe Text Pro. Text disappears. Undo restores.
    Bookman BT – same thing.
    Arial – works.
    Bodoni MT – works.
    Garamond – works.

Allen

Scrolling issue in Editor pane.

When the text depth in the editor window is sufficient to require scrolling, and then is significantly reduced, as when changing to a tighter font or removing space after paras, the scroll thumb sometimes gets lost. Then the only way to scroll is with mousewheel, or by moving the insert cursor with the arrow keys.

For example:

1. Open Scene with 4-5 screenfuls of text.
  2. Select All text.
  3. Set Add Space after Para.
  4. Scroll down and place insertion point in last line of text.
  5. Select All text.
  6. Set Remove Space after Para.
  7. Note that scroll thumb is now unusually small.
  8. Drag scroll thumb up.
  9. Thumb disappears entirely.

Allen

Exported text in wrong order.

When I export the Huck Finn example text, the resulting Word doc starts with “Huck and Pap” and then goes to “Chapter Start” and continues in sequence (I think). Am I wrong to expect the exported Docx file to follow the sequence shown in the document tree?

Allen

Document Manager doesn’t update project word count.

After closing the long novel, its entry in the Project Manager did not update the word count.

Closing and reopening the PM did update the word count.

Allen

Para Spacing dropdown in Word Processor toolbar doesn’t always show required settings.

The dropdown tries to emulate the Microsoft “smart” menu technique (which frequently results in accidentally clicking unintended menu items). Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work.

For example, if several paras are selected, and one of them doesn’t have Space After set, but all the others do, the dropdown doesn’t show Remove Space After. It’s not always obvious which para (or paras) is causing this, so User gets frustrated and kicks the cat.

If there’s any way to turn off this weird feature, which defeats muscle-memory interface reflexes, I would strongly advocate for that. I expect a command to stay in the same place in the UI, and not jump around. Worse yet, if while looking for the command you happen to hover over the arrow button, the list mostly populates, so that if you click the arrow, you often end up clicking some random command that is now in that position. This feature, imho, violates basic principles of good UI design. Curses, Microsoft!

Allen

Project Manager re-activates underneath main app window.

There’s no obvious way, within AS, to start a new Project, but new users will quickly find out this can be done only by returning to the Project Manager. (Maybe the tooltip on Project Manager icon should include mention of “Open or Create Projects” or some such.)

BUT: When I click to open Project Manager, the panel receives focus and remains underneath AS itself, so it looks like nothing happened. This only occurs if the PM is already open, in which case invocation should bring it to the front, but I suspect it’s usually already open, so this may be a common experience.

Allen

I noticed that myself yesterday with a large project only yesterday. The order should be as the scenes appear in the tree.

The way this works currently is that the project word count value is updated only when a project is closed, and the Project Manager dialog only re-acquires that word count when it’s re-opened. Might need to re-think this.

That’s not what should be happening. Does this happen every time Allen, as it’s not an issue I’m able to duplicate on my system?

Formatting and fonts will be maintained as they are if you copy and paste from another document. To get around this and force the same formatting as exists in the current documents you would need to use the Paste Special option and select “Unformatted Text” from the choices available.

The other font and paragraph issues will take some investigation.

Thanks for the very detailed bug reports so far Allen. They make tracking down bugs a lot easier. I’ll be looking to push a bug fix release by the end of the week — hopefully with a number of the issues you’ve reported fixed.

Yes, so far it’s consistent. I can’t think why, though …

Allen

Today I found that dozens of chapters pasted last night have reverted to Calibri. Since the Settings value was already Palatino for new Scenes, and hadn’t seemed to work, last night I had selected All and manually changed font to Palatino. It’s as if the pasted text were somehow tagged to be Calibri, although it was pasted from an ASCII editor with no formatting possible.

I’ve re-selected the first 30 or so chapters and again manually set them to Palatino, but I’m wondering if the daily backup of the internal tagging system may be reverting some Scenes in some cases. FWIW, the program was active across the midnight threshhold, so it was opened on Monday and closed some hours later on Tuesday.

Also, FWIW, the Palatino selection is still sticking in Settings.

I’m trying to track this more carefully to see if it only happens if I save a certain way, or if a reverting scene is especially long or short, etc.

OK, here’s a test I just did:

1. Create new Scene in existing document. Palatino is default Scene font.
  2. Copy & Paste ASCII text into new Scene.
  3. Confirm that it’s indeed displaying as Palatino.
  4. Close AS.
  5. Wait for .lock semaphore to disappear.
  6. Open AS.
  7. New scene is now in Calibri.

No midnight-crossing this time, so I’d say something is definitely happening.

Allen

I’ve gotten to the bottom of that font issue. As you worked out, it’s not related to the backups — it’s a more general issue with the default font not being picked up. Shouldn’t be a difficult fix.