SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

Lost work due to random restart!

Hi, there! It’s me again.

I was working on a scene just now and my computer randomly decided to restart. When I rebooted the program, everything I had written in the scene was lost because it was the tab I’d had open when my computer decided to try and update. I tried looking through the backups but I can’t find anything. Is there any way I can get it back? I had a significant amount written in there and I’m pretty devastated at the moment.

Please help!!

There are two different automated backups in SmartEdit Writer. They’re outlined in detail in this post:

https://www.smart-edit.com/Blog/Post/SmartEditWriterBackups/

One of the two should give you back your work from the last time you closed the project.

Hi Sasha,
Related to this issue there is a setting in Win10 which you could use, provided the randomly restart was - or is - based on Win10 updates. Go in the settings, and to the "Update"section. There is an option, under advanced settings, where you can define hours for begin and end (e.g. 08:00 - 23:00 / 08 a.m - 11 p.m.). MS does download the patches, but does not restart your PC within these individually defined hours. They just notify you that an update is pending, and will be installed at the next restart or shut down. It saves your back while working on something. :slight_smile:
Hans