Atomic Scribbler Home · SmartEdit Home · Help

Incorporating Markdown Support

I’m sure this has been asked, but I can’t find it. Is it on the roadmap to include Markdown support?

No, markdown support is not on the roadmap and not planned at this stage. The word processor is a Rich Text editor. Changing it, or allowing it to function also as a plain text / markdown editor is not something I’m planning.

Thanks for the prompt response.

To you have any hooks where one could add functionality?

I’ve thought of monitoring the project directory to grab the files and have a converted backup of the files, using the information in the sqlite db to name them appropriately. I’ve experience with that from work, and know the normal drawbacks, but don’t know if there are any other drawbacks of your design that you might be able to tell me about. I just have a need to store my manuscript in plain text.

This might even be useful to other users, as I know others have similar requirements in their writing.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Under further research, I’ve noticed that there is an Atomic.lock file created when a project is open in Atomic Scribbler, and it goes away/is deleted when the project is closed. Is that a valid check to use instead of/in addition to the file changed notification to note when the project needs to be synced with the markdown version?

Hi Chuck,

Your approach should work as long as you have a process that can convert docx files to plain text. If you’ve looked at the structure of the sqlite database you’ve probably found that it’s quite simple. There’s no complexity build into it.

When it comes to identifying when to run your process, the lock file on its own might not be enough. The lock file is created each time a project is opened and deleted when it is closed. It functions as a flag to prevent the project from being opened twice at the same time.

When a project is closed, the database file atomic.meta, along with the settings.dat file in the same folder are updated. You could monitor the timestamp on either of these files along with the absence of a lock file to determine when to run your own process.

The timestamp on either of these files and the absence of a lock file for the project will tell you when that project was last closed.

Thanks a lot on all of your help with this! I’ll let you know how I come along.