Atomic Scribbler Home · SmartEdit Home · Help

Atomic Scribbler & SmartEdit Forums

I only wish... I would've held out a little longer

I just bought Scrivener three days ago, and I only wish I would’ve held out to buy Smart-Edit. I started reading the forums and realized that perhaps I made a mistake. I bought Scrivener because that’s all I ever hear people talk about, and I had a 20% off coupon. Now that I own it, Scrivener…Scrivener is like, rocket science. I was reading their forums and all I ever read is people having problems with it. Maybe because no one wants to read the manual? I don’t know. What I do know is Atomic Scribbler has a nice feel to it. It’s kind of like a light heavyweight version of Scrivener, only it looks prettier than Scrivener! I found out about A.S. because I was using Page Four. I use it for journaling every day (I average around 2,000 to 5,000 words a pop). But, I raced ahead and bought Scrivener, then I started to read the forums for A.S. and it’s nothing but positive stuff. I was like, shit! I messed up. Since I already paid for the thing, I have to learn how to use Scrivener. I’ll probably end up using both programs. It’s going to take a little time to save up for S.E. because I don’t have the money to throw around. To get the full monty with A.S. I need S.E. that’s all there is to it. It sucks because now I feel locked in and stuck with Scrivener. A.S. looks really cool. Snazzy name, too, by the way.

I have to laugh at this! I’m in the same boat! I bought Scrivener 3-4 months ago, and THEN discovered A.S. I probably would not have bought Scrivener if I had known about Atomic Scribbler.

In my eyes, Atomic Scribbler is a MUCH better writing environment than Windows Scrivener, but when it comes to planning and the pre writing, “Thinky stuff”, I think Scrivener is better than Atomic Scribbler. (Though both are reasonably competent at both).

As a result, I can’t decide which I like better. I love the idea of how SmartEdit integrates so smoothly with Atomic Scribbler. As far as I know no other Writing app has such a tight integration with a post writing editing app. BUT then I think, SmartEdit for Windows would give me the same benefits as that integration.

I’m in a state of paralysis at this point. I will likely wait until Scrivener 3 for Windows has gone commercial before I decide, BUT, I’m pretty sure I will buy SmartEdit either way.

I used Scrivener for years, but switched to A.S. because of SmartEdit. I use A.S. exclusively now (over Scrivener).

Yeah, Scrivener has more bells and whistles - most of which are not necessary and make it more intimidating to use. Atomic Scribbler just feels comfortable to me.

If you avoid all the confusing features, especially print formatting, Scrivener can simulate a pretty simple writing environment. Of course, if you’re looking for a real simple writing environment then AS is a better choice! But still, I was pretty happy with Scrivener when I stopped trying to take advantage of all the features and just used the document tree and the full-screen writing mode (which hides everything but your writing!). It’s too bad the learning curve is so steep – it really needn’t be, but I found the documentation and some of the “helpers” on the forum to be a bit obtuse.

I am still happy with Scrivener for very complex (read: huge) collections of ideas in a variety of areas, but that may just be from habit. I haven’t tried to move the gigantic tangles of fragments I have in Scrivener – it’s too frightening to contemplate. Still, it would be a good test for AS as it becomes more established in the market, so maybe I should try as a favor to Darren…

If you just bought Scrivener 4 days ago, I would think you could get a refund. It’s worth a try!

Allen