SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

Formatting lost on export

Hello,
On exporting a document with 20+ chapters/60K words, I found that all the return and paragraph formatting was lost. All of this content was originally copied from a docx and the formatting was preserved in SmartEdit Writer. So why was it all stripped on the way back out? Is there a setting I need to change? (It still looks as it’s supposed to when editing it in SmartEdit Writer.)

EDITED to add 6/2: I figured out I can restore the paragraph formatting relatively easily once in Word. (Phew!) It’s a bit of a pain, and I think it would work better if that wasn’t necessary. (I still need to work on the document in Word before putting it in Vellum - global replace for character names and the like - so having it export as it looks in SEW would be better.)

Thank you,
Laurie

It shouldn’t be necessary to change it again in Word. Was all formatting lost (fonts, paragraphs, italics, etc.)? Normal behaviour is for the formatting of a scene to be carried across as is.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never seen anything like that happen with SEW. In fact, I can’t think of how I would make SEW do that if I wanted it to!

What application was displaying the text without the formatting – Word? If so, I assume the export operation was directed to the DOCX format. (I apologize if this is a stupid question, but sometimes something obvious slips by the best of us.)

Allen