SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

Formatting lost after copy&paste

I’ve been having an odd issue. I post my work online, so I tend to just copy&paste instead of taking the extra step of exporting. Recently, I’ve had an issue where my formatting (italics, etc.) is lost when doing this. It’s been about a year since I used this software last, but I don’t remember having this issue before.

Pasting into Word keeps the formatting, but pasting into something like Google Docs or a forum deletes it. I have to go through the whole thing to reformat it and it’s a serious pain. Is anyone else having this problem, and if so, how can I fix it?

Copying from the word processor in SmartEdit Writer copies the text as Rich Text only. It doesn’t make a HTML copy to the clipboard. This means it will paste as expected, with formatting, into another word processor - as all word processors can handle rich text.

But web pages and web forms usually only handle paste operations with formatting if it comes as HTML, so the formatting is not carried across. There’s no work around for this short of exporting and loading the document into Google Docs.

Hi, thanks for your response. The website in question does accept rich text and I have copy/pasted directly into it before with no problems, even from SmartEdit Writer.

It could be there is a problem with the site and not SEW. I’m trying to get in touch with them as well to see if the problem is on their end.