In the writing subreddit, some kid has dreams of writing a writing program and asked for desired features. I (writing as StarDog2) listed my “dream” features list, and tried to source examples from other software. I don’t expect ANY software to meet all of these requirements, but it would be great if there were!
This is my DREAM list for ALL authorship/writing apps
- Tabbed writing format (NOT Split screen) See Atomic Scribbler
- SHOW ALL normally hidden control characters (WordPerfect’s show all is/should be the industry standard!)
- Integration with Post writing Edit tools (Grammarly, etc. See Atomic Scribbler’s ability to integrate with SmartEdit)
- Windows, Chrome, Android versions
- Timeline Capability
- Import notes from OneNote and Google Keep
- Import XMind and Freemind Mind maps (See scrivener’s ability to import scrapple diagrams)
- Scene level text (not just Chapter)
- Integration with Post writing Edit tools (Grammarly, etc.)
- Dark theme,
- cork boards are over rated, IMO. Anything you can do in the Corkboard, you can do elsewhere. if you can’t come up with new functionality for the CB, skip it! Put that development time into something more useful.
- Display any notes for any document displayed in an open tab (not just display ALL notes).
- Ability to store and retrieve projects from OneDrive and back up to an external drive or thumb drive
- Ability to Zip the entire project for back up from within the application would be great.
- Reading level analysis (See Quoll Writer - best feature of QW and no one else has it!)
- Ability to mark Scenes, Chapters, & ACTS done
- Project wide search and replace not just for phrases and words, but for punctuation, control characters, etc
- NO subscription fee. Free would be ideal, but I’d rather pay a one time licensing fee.
Atomic Scribbler comes very close in my mind, closer than anything I’ve seen so far. I own Scrivener, but I am finding Atomic Scribbler more useful on a day to day basis.