Atomic Scribbler Home · SmartEdit Home · Help

Double-Click to select a note in the Notes pane

I’m finding that it would be much more convenient to use the Notes pane if I could select a note (i.e., open it) by double-clicking. This would be much easier than having to target and click the tiny maximize button.

At present, single-clicking highlights the note, but doesn’t seem to do anything else, so I’m not sure if there’s a future feature that will use this behavior. In any case, double-clicking the title bar is analogous to double-clicking the title bar of an app, which is of course a standard way of maximizing a window.

If you do implement this behavior, then I would highly recommend making it a toggle, as it is with app windows, so that double-clicking an open Note would collapse it. The tiny “restore / maximize” button still serves as an indicator of the state, I suppose, and as an overtly discoverable affordance, although I’m not sure if I would ever use it if the title bar itself served as the toggle. Since I appreciate your desire to avoid hidden features (e.g., multiple modifier keys), it would be consistent to leave the button.

Allen

While we’re on the Notes pane, I’m also somewhat thrown by the way the note items expand or contract. Shouldn’t I be able to scroll up and down when there are many notes displayed? I can often see another note partially visible at the bottom, but clicking on it doesn’t bring it into view. This motivated me to try the scroll wheel, but nothing scrolls. And sometimes a note expands to fill most of the pane, while at other times it expands only enough to show all its text.

Functionally, I could see a rationale for having perhaps three states, cycled via double-clicking the title bar – collapsed (just the title bar), “outline” mode (just the first 2 lines of text showing, and “maximized” (filling the Notes pane).

But again, I’m not sure how you see the behaviors of this pane evolving. At present, I find it a little confusing to find my way around and control the display to suit my needs.

Allen

I’ve never been that happy with the feel of the Notes section. Almost from version 1 I had it on my list to redo at some point. I’m still looking through ideas, but what I’m thinking of is to move towards a single level list / tree, where you expand each note by clicking a + icon or double clicking. A design like this would also make it easier to move open notes around.

That sounds like a good approach. The main function for notes, in most of my workflows, is to maintain visible references to various aspects of the book or story. While working on Chapter 5, I’ll want character details for three specific people, but in Chapter 8 I’ll want notes about two or three locations, and in Chapter 13 I’ll need several history notes open. To maximize the display of useful info, I’ll want to size each note to a specific vertical depth, while scrolling the text inside, and I’ll also want to control the order of notes in the pane. And of course I’m likely to need more note space than the pane affords, so scrolling this adjusted list as a whole will also be required.

Allen

The primary disadvantage of the current iteration of the notes UI is that it works well if only a small number of notes are open. Once the number gets high and space becomes filled, it’s no longer practical.

A more list /tree approach would allow for any number of open notes, either collapsed or expanded, and be more manageable in terms of moving them around.

I think this is a case where initial design meets practical use and falls a bit short. I’ll be looking into redesigning this area quite soon.

Great. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks,

Allen

Th first line of OP here re: showing note on clicking on it’s title-bar as opposed to the tiny maximize icon was mentioned in my thread: List of My Feedback Suggestions. Also there I mentioned needed shortcuts to quickly go through the notes boxes.

The other recent suggestion in another thread re: closing project manager panel after launching a document is also good. I did not list it, like many other suggestions, to keep focus on the essentials I listed there. Once I launch a document I immediately close the Project manager window (top right X to close window). My idea was to put a TickBox option on the project manager window:
Close Project Manager after launching document [X]

Finally the idea by dev of turning the notes boxes into a tree? I think that would be a Huge benefit. I think the many advantages would promote and turn Scribb into a unique software that would attract a lot of attention. Because outline trees on both sides’ panes of the editor pane will have so many uses and potential. It will be genius.

https://forum.atomicscribbler.com/t/list-of-my-feedback-suggestions/

P.S.

1. Tree functions?

The usual functions to::

Expand all nodes
Collapse all nodes
Expand any selected branch
Collapse any selected branch

1. How to present the notes inline-data (tree node data) in the right Tree Outline column?

Divide the right (Notes Tree) column into 2:

Top two-thirds for the Tree outliner
Bottom third for a textbox to show the data for the selected (in focus) tree node

The bottom textbox has a scrollbar to show long text

1. Search TextBox:

A search textbox at top of the tree
The results, vertical list of tree nodes of result hits, are shown in the top box, above tree, with a scrollbar if there are more than one hit results.
Clicking on a hit line, highlights the tree node and shows the text of that node in the bottom data textbox

While we’re considering tree features, I’d like to put in an enthusiastic vote for tree snapshots (for both trees).

While working on a large manuscript, I use many different modes of attack – reviewing all the references for characters, for places, for key items and locations, and also for managing the time sequence of events, etc. Each of these modes involves a “pattern” of open chapters, open notes, and open fragments. If I could set up a workspace of specific expanded tree nodes, and then SAVE that for future work, then I could switch back and forth between these global projects without spending any time at all setting them up more than once.

This is a pretty small feature (save, load, & delete tree snapshots), but the power and convenience of that capability would be tremendous.

Allen

Tree Snapshots could be expanded to encompass the entire workspace, and I would love that, but perhaps that’s taking it farther than necessary. OTOH, a lot of UI’s provide that, and it makes sense especially if one is writing on a laptop part of the time and on a big desktop screen at other times. Or switching from “just write” mode to “rip the thing apart” mode in a single project.

Allen