Atomic Scribbler Home · SmartEdit Home · Help

Daily Word Count Date


Thanks for the feature of counting your words daily for you. Unfortunately, I don’t know if it’s just mine, but the date is always yesterday’s date that is recording today’s updates. Is there a way to correct this?


You’ll notice bottom right hand side shows 7/22, where the daily word count shows 7/21


The word count is performed when a project closes or when you click the refresh button. This is why when you open a project the most likely last day a count was made will be yesterday.


I close the project, and reopen, type a word, and it gives me a previous day. So you’re saying that it’s giving me correct date? How do i get current day. I guess I’m not following.


You won’t see an entry for the current day until after you close the project and re-open. So, say you open your project for the first time today and type 500 words, you won’t see an entry for today while you type those words.

Today’s entry will only be made when you close the project. You’ll see it tomorrow, or if you re-open the same project later in the day.

The daily word count is not a running word count total as you type, it’s a historic record – of what you typed in the past.


Ah, alright. Got it thanks.


Hey, sorry to bump a super old thread, but I just downloaded Atomic Scribbler and I’m having the same issue.

I downloaded it yesterday (11/1), testing it out for NaNoWriMo. When I open the word count pane, it says everything that I wrote yesterday was written on 10/31, and everything I’ve written today (11/2) was written on 11/1.

I had not downloaded the program yet on 10/31, so it’s impossible that I wrote those words at that time; it isn’t a matter of needing to refresh, I don’t think. And at any rate, I’ve already closed and re-opened the program a number of times.

So is there a way to fix the date? Is it maybe the default time zone that is at fault? I’m on pacific time. I’m not sure where this program was developed…


Hi Ellery,

I thought there wasn’t an issue here, but there is. The heart of the problem is that the date is stored as UTC time (+7 hours from Pacific tome) and then converted back to local time on display. The issue is that it’s only storing a date, and not a time, so it can be incorrect depending on the time of day the word count was saved.

I’ll release a fix for this but it probbaly won’t fix all the currnet entries, as late night updates on your side are already stored as the following day.


Yea, it never fixed for me either. I’ve tried it multiple times throughout the day as well with no success in the date changing. Hope that helps.


That release is available now:

A couple of old entries might still show an incorrect date, but it should be right from now on.