Atomic Scribbler Home · SmartEdit Home · Help

Bug? - Trouble Importing from Page Four

Anyone else having trouble with the Page Four import? The import finds my Page Four Notebooks, runs through all the sections and declares that it succeeded but there is no text! Only the folder and page headers are imported. I even tried creating a simple sample notebook from scratch with a bit of pasted in text but it still doesn’t work.

Page Four version 1.87 - just got Atomic Scribbler so it’s 2.0

That’s an unusual problem — not one I’ve come across before.

When you double click on one of the imported PageFour files in the Document tree, does it open an empty scene in Atomic Scribbler?

The underlying functionality for the PageFour import is the same as the Folder import. Can you try using the “Import from Folder” button, browsing directly to a PageFour Notebook and checking what happens in this case.

Hi Darren,

When you double click on one of the imported PageFour files in the Document tree, does it open an empty scene in >>Atomic Scribbler?

Yes - that’s exactly what happens - the headings are all there but when I double-click there is no text

The underlying functionality for the PageFour import is the same as the Folder import. Can you try using the “Import from >>Folder” button, browsing directly to a PageFour Notebook and checking what happens in this case.

Well, I gave that a shot and it worked! It found and imported all the .rtf files and kept the folder based structure. Don’t know what to say - but if anyone else has trouble, this is the way to go. Looking down the road I think the import from PageFour should be deprecated anyway, or better, hidden to keep those extraneous buttons off the bar.

Okay, I experimented some more and found that some projects were not loading the text or only partially loading. I then narrowed it down to very old .rtf documents. I think that’s the problem, not the PageFour import itself. I have maybe 20 projects from PageFour, some where I just dumped information and really haven’t looked back since and those are the problems. I can send you an example from 2009 (I tried to attach here, but I can’t).

If you could forward one of those .rtf files to me I can take a look and see what’s going on. info [at] atomicscribbler.com

Thanks

Thanks for the file Dave.

This is actually an issue in PageFour. The file you sent me (and some others as well) was a text file when it was imported, not an RTF or Word Document. PageFour imported it as RTF (which is its native file format) but didn’t convert it to RTF.

PageFour was more forgiving of file formats than Atomic, so would have opened the file ok, only properly converting it from Text to RTF when a change and save was made.

Atomic Scribbler is less forgiving and expects the file formats and their contents to be correct, so when it encountered an RTF file whose contents were not RTF, if failed to load.This isn’t something that can be changed in Atomic, as PageFour is the offending party here.

Thanks for tracking it down - I never thought to look at the file directly in a text editor. This, as it turns out, doesn’t affect very much of the stuff that I have and if it does, now I know the fix!