SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

[Bug or Error] Exported Scene is Incorrect

I’m not certain why, but after opening a couple of Single Document exports, I noticed that occasionally some of the formatting is incorrect. Aside from headers, I write in Arial at 12-point font for the most part, but for no reason at all, certain sections refuse to adhere to that. It’ll instead switch to Times New Roman at 11-point font, and I can’t imagine why.

I don’t think it’s a problem with Word specifically, though it might. My reasoning behind this is because I’ve opened the same files (exported as “.docx”) in both Word and LibreOffice Writer, and they both showed the same issue. The indentation and even some of the specific line spacing is preserved, but for whatever reason, the font and font size will not.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: it’s worth noting that this also happens when exporting the whole thing
Edit 2: After a bit of experimentation, I have found that the problem may be the Arial font itself. Not sure about LibreOffice, but Word, for whatever reason, changes any Arial 12-point font to Times New Roman (sometimes downsizing to 11). On a whim I changed the font to Calibri, and Word left it alone.

I’ve had the same problem for a long time but it’s a large old document and and I’ve been editing it since the 1st version of smart edit all the way back to atomic scribbler… So I’m not sure which unwanted font changes are leftovers and which ones are due to a persistent issue.

1 Like

Oh, version changes may be the issue then. I got my start in SmartEdit version 8, and made the switch over to version 9 somewhere in the middle of what I’ve written so far. Might be a coincidence, but that’s around where the font starts to misbehave. Plus, I’ve also had to change computers as well, so that may also be why.

It would be nice, though, if there were a “cleanup” solution – something (even a separate one-time utility program) that could sweep through all the text fragments and fix the rtf font specs.

Allen

2 Likes

This issue has popped up in different forms over the years. I keep thinking I’ve fixed it and then it resurfaces in a slightly different way.

I think the current manifestation has something to do with the default font in SEW being changed over time. When you use the default font in SEW or in Word, the actual font name is never saved to the document, just that it’s the default, so the same document can have a different font in both apps.

Couple this with the ability to change the font in a scene in SEW, and you could have a set of scenes where half are deliberately set to Times New Roman and the other half set to Default, which might be Times New Roman in SEW but Calbri in Word, which would result in different scenes having different fonts when opened in Word but not when viewed in SEW.

Allen raises a good point though - a ‘clean up’ sweep or an option to enforce the default when merging might be a solution.

2 Likes

I also think Allen makes a good point. A sort of final touch option before exporting or something would solve the problem at least (at least on paper), though perhaps there’s an underlining issue that keeps causes these formatting bugs.

Darren’s theory sounds very likely to me. Essentially a coincidental discrepancy between what was at one time the default, and sections that at other times were given an explicit font. This coincides with my experience – these documents with inconsistent fonts seem to have almost entirely just TWO fonts, both of which HAVE been defaults in the years I’ve been using SEW. And here and there are some small line edits, in yet a third font, but that third font is the one I’ve most recently been using.

Maybe that doesn’t really prove anything, but the proliferation of tiny RTF files with some font specs embedded and others implied – it’s bound to produce some surprises.

Allen

FWIW, I found a few DOCX files in one project with the font problem, and opened them in Word. They had switched to Calibri in a few places (one was entirely Calibri), although they displayed as Palatino Linotype 12 inside of SEW. So for both files I selected the entire text inside Word and specified Palatino Linotype 12 and saved back into the SEW project’s Documents folder. They still seem to work fine, and all the italics or colored text survived.

In my case, the main annoyance is having the wrong fonts displayed in a PDF document, so there is a simple work-around. If I export the whole SEW project into a single RTF file, I can then globally change the font to Palatino, and then let Acrobat convert it to a PDF.

If I get ambitious, I might knock off a C# tool that just iterates through all the DOCX files in a project’s Documents folder and uses Word to set the font. But I’m not anxious to be messing with remote control of Word, and the work-around is a good enough solution for my present needs.

I hope some of this rummaging about is helpful …

Allen