Before upgrading to version 6 of SmartEdit for Word you may wish to backup some of your custom SmartEdit files. Earlier versions of SmartEdit were deficient in how they handled some of your custom files and they could be lost when you upgrade.
If you added entries to the SmartEdit Monitored Words or Exclusion Lists, these will be lost when upgrading unless you take manual steps to back them up. If you did not update these files or are not concerned with any words you may have added to them, you do not need to do anything.
The following steps should be run prior to upgrading if you wish to maintain the contents of these files:
- Browse to your SmartEdit installation folder here: “C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\SmartEdit for Word\Custom Files ”, where YOURNAME is your own name on your PC.
- If you can’t find this folder, go to “Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Show hidden files and folders” and press OK. It should now be visible to you.
- Copy the contents of this folder and store in a location of your choosing. It may contain a small number of text files.
- Run the version 6 upgrade to SmartEdit, then open Microsoft Word.
- Open your “Documents\SmartEdit for Word\Custom Files” folder.
- Copy the text files into this folder, over-writing any existing files.