Atomic Scribbler Home · SmartEdit Home · Help

Atomic Scribbler & SmartEdit Forums

Atomic Scribbler 4K Support for Windows?

Does Atomic Scribbler have 4K support for Windows? The manual claims it does, but when I run it, the UI is blurry. Can I fix this? Should I wait for 4K support?

It depends very much on the 4k device you’re using. For some users it works fine, others find performance / speed issues. If you’re having display issues you’ll have to wait for the next release

I had a subtle but very annoying blur / rainbow problem with one 4K TV, and the solution turned out to have nothing to do with Windows or software or video card settings.

If your 4K monitor is a TV, you might want to confirm that it is set to not process the signal coming from the computer. Sometimes this is a setting called “pure digital” or “computer” or some vague reference to the fact that the signal is bit-for-bit what should be displayed, without any scaling or fitting or other interpretation.

Unfortunately, some TV sets (my office 50" Vizio, for example) don’t provide an explicit setting for this, but instead automatically turn off scaling only when the input “name” is set to “computer”. In other words, although it appears that all the settings are available for all of the input selections (Cable, DVD, Blueray, Computer), only the one called Computer handles the signal correctly.

The symptom that had me tearing my hair out was subtle rainbows around certain small fonts. Others were slightly fuzzy. These symptoms have to do with the (unnecessary) conversion of the incoming signal to analog, and then back to digital, while the computer video card is trying to do sub-pixel anti-aliasing. Yes, that’s as incomprehensible as it sounds, and some variation of “pure digital” is the only way to get a clear computer picture. I had chosen an input “type” other than Computer so I could perform fine adjustments on the color, and this had prevented the extra processing from being turned OFF.

On my Sony at home, there’s a Pure Digital setting, and the TV doesn’t care what the signal source is.

Hope this helps,

Allen

Thanks for bumping this topic Allen. It allows me to jmp in and mention that for most users the sluggish display issues on 4K monitors should now be resolved. The Microsoft framework update fixed a lot of that.

Just thought I’d mention that I’m not experiencing sluggishness when typing on either 4K computers.

The type appears almost without any delay – that is, there is a very slight gap between whacking a key and seeing the glyph appear on screen. But interestingly, the display never falls behind when I’m typing as fast as I can (about 120 wpm). IOW, the latency appears to be constant, and less than the inter-keystroke gap in what is unsustainably fast typing.

I can see how a slightly larger latency would become annoying, if the display has to catch up after a fast burst of keystrokes. Latency in AS does seem to be a bit greater than in most other typing scenarios, but on my systems with 4K displays it is definitely not anything I would notice.

Win10 (all updates), i7/960, 3.2GHz, 12GB RAM, tons of junk installed over several years.

The other PC with 4K is newer and faster, but I can’t comment off-hand on whether the latency is discernibly different.

Allen

There are 4k devices and there are 4k devices. In an ideal world the 4k issues would all be resolved in one swoop, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. My 4k testing lap top is a Dell XPS that I gave to the girlfriend. It was sluggish prior to version 6 but is fine now after the .Net upgrade. But, I know some users on Surface Pros are still having issues despite the upgrade. Consistency is not a MIicrosoft trait.

This is interesting, because I’m fairly close to getting a Surface Pro. Still deciding on which version, and whether to wait for #7 in the fall (probably).

Video drivers are an amazing domain of complexity and performance variations. One would have thought by now such things would be standardized enough to cease baffling millions of users. Like, for instance, the effortless networking and file sharing we now enjoy.

And of course virtually none of the 4k devices out there are actually 4K. They’re mostly UHD, which is 3840 x 2160. 4K is 4096 x 2160, as in movie theatre projectors. But UHD/“4K” is a handy res, since it’s exactly 4 of last generation’s “full HD” monitors and everything scales proportionately. Trust the salesfolk to mess with the terminology, as in calling LCD panels with LED backlighting “LED displays”. (We didn’t call LCD panels with fluorescent backlighting “Fluorescent displays”.)

Allen the nit-picker