SmartEdit Writer · SmartEdit for Word · Help

SmartEdit Forums

A few bugs and notes

Okay, I’ve been using the program for a while now and I wanted to give some feedback on how it works - which is generally very well. I’m recommending it to people I know.

BUGS:

• When editing, undoing, and re-editing a single line you can trigger the Unknown Error/Unexpected Error crash. This instantly closes the program.
  • If power is cut to the computer, the project list will be emptied. Doesn’t seem to matter if the project window is closed at the time. This is pretty consistent.

NOTES:

• Renaming the program SmartEdit Writer was a bad idea, in my opinion. the program now sounds very generic. I’d recommend calling it Atomic SmartEdit. Atomic Scribbler With SmartEdit is an even better name because it sounds a lot more friendly.

• It would be really good if Fragments could be made into a tab instead of a button. Having it as a button means I have to break flow to use it, so I don’t. I just keep my fragments on the regular panel as a separate folder. The other option, if you don’t want to tab the tree, would be to have a dedicated ‘fragments’ folder type.

• Atomic seems to be incompatible with Word Web, which is a shame. Word Web does not seem to be able to detect spaces in Atomic, which leads to it misunderstanding words. Integrating support into one or both programs would be nice.

Thanks again for your help, and thank you for making the program!

Philp, to call this “incompatible” is quite a stretch, and I would go even so far to call this an inaccurate statement. In my terminology, “incompatible” would mean not to work at all.

Agreed, the last newer version of SmartEdit Writer doesn’t pick up a single word anymore but the one left and right of the selected word as well.

It’s a little bit annoying but not a major issue. I just go and quick delete the additional words from the picked up string, hit Enter again, and the issue is solved.
Agreed, it’s not ideal at the moment but it’s a work around. I’m sure, Darren will find a fix to it.

Besides, it’s called SmartEdit Writer now and NOT Atomic anymore.
As a note on the side… if you really still work with the former Atomic Scribbler, then Word Web works flawlessly with it. Even with a Wacom Tablet and Pen.

I had to use the latter for some time when I had issues with beginning Carpal Tunnel and needed to shun the mouse for a while. I work with Word Web Pro for a long time, and used it even with the former PageFour. So please, don’t tell me that WW is incompatible. That’s exaggerating.

Just my two cents to this issue.
Hans

Thanks for the bug reports Philip. I’ll look into those. How often are you losing power to your PC?

Regarding the Fragments, I think the way you’re using Fragments might be different to what I envisaged when creating it. This often happens with software — users use it in ways that we didn’t imagine when starting out.

My intent with Fragments was that it was a place to store unused scenes or bits of scenes, or old versions of scenes and chapters. ‘Out of sight and out of mind.’ Instead of having them clutter up the main Document and rather than deleting them entirely, they could be stored in Fragments and recovered or read later if required.

If you’re accessing scenes in Fragments on a regular basis, then it sounds like you’re using it as an ongoing part of your Document. In which case you might be better to simply create a Fragments folder in your main Document tree and use that.

Regarding Word Web, a big change went into SmartEdit Writer under the covers in version 7 that you would only have noticed if you were experiencing weird display bugs and issues on high res monitors. The fix for these issues meant changing the display to render in a different way. Wordweb is an old app, and chances are it’s having difficulty with the new rendering engine.

This is why I added it as a note and not a bug. There is a minor incompatibility here. For some reason it’s not detecting spaces.

Thanks for the bug reports Philip. I’ll look into those. How often are you losing power to your PC?

The old laptop is extremely slow sometimes and can hang at shutdown indefinably. So sometimes if I’m trying to exit a café in a hurry because it’s closing, or if it just freezes for an hour, I have to pull the battery out. I’m getting a new laptop soon, which should solve the issue, but the bug is very constant. Another bug I’ve found is that the program will tend to freeze up a lot more once it comes out of standby.

Regarding the Fragments, I think the way you’re using Fragments might be different to what I envisaged

Very possible. I tend to break down my notes into very small files, usually just scenes, because it makes it much easier to find. Putting things in fragments is a great way to memory-hole them - but I prefer to just delete stuff I know I’m not going to use. That does mean I’ve basically created my own fragments file using folders. The actual fragments file is basically empty because once stuff goes in it rarely comes out.

Wordweb is an old app, and chances are it’s having difficulty with the new rendering engine.

That’s a shame. It’s a really good app. In fact, I was going to suggest asking if it was open source and integrating it. I know that would likely never happen, but that app is very useful.

By the way I’ve also noticed that the screen doesn’t follow the cursor when undoing, and redoing text… It’s not a major thing, but once in a while it makes it hard to salvage text that was in the clipboard that I then lost because I can’t track where things are being undone or redone. Makes it feel kinda dangerous to try doing that as well.

I’ve seen the WordWeb no-spaces issue as well. It’s really quite annoying.